Saturday 29 March 2014

On Writing | Camp Nanowrimo + Writing Goals

Good Morning All!
As you can Guess from the title I'm going to be taking part in Camp Nanowrimo this April. There are less than 3 days to go and I'm super excited.
As most of you know I have recently started writing again. I've decided that this is the year I achieve my goals. One of which is to put my stories out into the world. I have a notebook full of my story ideas and I've collected all my writing scraps together, and now I feel ready to get down and write.
I know three of my ideas will end up as trilogies. This year I want to get first drafts for the first books to those trilogies on paper. I'm going to take full advantage of the opportunity Nanowrimo offers and participate  in both Camps as well as the main event in November.
For the camp in April I have set myself a goal of 10,000 words just to get myself warmed up. The project I'm working on is about energy channelers. When I was a teenager I met a man on Valentines day 2005 and had one of the most influential conversations of my life. He talked to me about bands of energy that wrap the earth and where they cross they create points of great magical power, but also weaknesses in the border between our world and others. He also told me some areas are mostly positive energy and others are more negative, creative a 'Hell Mouth' of sorts. And basically I'm using this as the background for my story.
I'm having to restrain myself from writing right NOW! So I'm settling with plotting and character building. Everyday I spend on the planning I'm coming up with more back story and plot, I'm worried I won't be able to rein it in enough. I don't want to be one of those writers whose story stretches for 10 books, but I don't my reader to think "She could have done more with this bit". It'll be a fun challenge to find the balance.
Also I'm looking for beta readers. I know it's a bit early in the game, but I thought I should start asking. Anyone out there want to read my first draft and give me brutal honesty?

Love and Bugs
xoxo

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...